Under the law they are considered property 🙁 They are living, breathing creatures that have feelings and feel pain.
With Summer coming here are some tips to keep your pet safe.
- Do not leave your pet in a vehicle, even with the windows down a bit. It’s like leaving them in a roasted oven. ~ Do a test ` sit in the car with the windows rolled completely up~ Sit there for 5 minutes ~ Ask yourself how do you feel? Now imagine a dog has fur or hair on top of that ~ Leave your pet at home if you cannot keep them with you~
- Keep your pet trimmed and combed well to ensure they do not have matts of hair or excess hair that will make it much warmer for them.
- Pets need lots of Fresh Water ! I often put a few ice cubes in it to keep it cooler longer.
- Do not let your pet sit on your lap while driving ~ please tell me what happens to your pet if you need to slam on your breaks? Exactly!
- Do not let your pet hang out the window ~ again what happens if you need to slam on your breaks?
- Invest in a proper harness to clip to the seat belt to properly keep your dog safe so in th even of an accident; he or she will be much safer!
- In hotter weather, try feeding your dog earlier in the morning or later in the evening when it’s cooler; just like you when it’s hotter sometimes you don’t feel like eating; neither does your pet.
- I often keep pieces of water melon with me in the car.